- Initial reactions to Chapter 5.
- R: (Page 91) Lennie says “I done another bad thing”. What bad thing do you think he is referring to? Do you think this is the type of bad thing George was anticipating?
- (Page 92) Lennie discard the dead puppy to lessen the situation. What do you think his rationale is in doing this?
- R: (Page 92-93) Why might Steinbeck wait until Curly’s wife is dead to describe her in such a beautiful way?
- How do you feel about Candy’s wife after reading Chapter 5?
- Is she more human to us as readers now that she is dead?
- R: (Page 94-95) Why do George and Candy give up on their dream? Why can’t they do it without Lennie?
- R: (Page 94) How do you feel about Candy’s reaction to Curly’s wife’s dead body? Why might he still cling to this idea of her as a tart?
- R: (Page 96) What is your reaction to how Slim examines Curly’s wife’s body?